Top Reasons to Become a Pharmacy Technician
1. Job Stability – The Pharmaceutical industry will always be around and therefore it will always be a need for technicians. I can honestly say that in the last 10 years I have never been out of a job unless it was by choice. I have always been able to find a job with my pharmacy background.
2. Flexible Work Schedule – The hospital is open 24 hours a day so you are able to choose a schedule that suits you best. Some retail pharmacies are open 24 hours a day. But, they will also offer other flexible schedules whether it is a Full-Time or Part-Time opportunity.
3. Minimal Training Requirements – Pharmacy Technicians are not required to have any formal educational requirements. You are able to receive on-the-job training which is a plus. Most formal Pharmacy Technician programs will last between 1-2 years and I have seen some that can be completed in less than 1 year.
4. Career Development – The skills that you will learn as a Pharmacy Technician are transferrable from one job to another and can be used forever.
5. Career Growth - Pharmacy Technicians are not only hired at hospitals and retail pharmacies but also at:
Biopharmaceutical and Biotechnology companies
Health Insurance companies
Mental Health Facilities
Community Colleges and Trade Schools
Pharmacy Technicians can eventually become:
Pharmaceutical Program Managers
Pharmaceutical Program Supervisors
Pharmacy Technician Instructors
Pharmacy Technician Supervisors
If you decide that being a pharmacy technician is not for you, your background in pharmacy can lead you to other careers in healthcare. I know a few people who were pharmacy technicians and are now:
Medical or Clinical Researchers
What I have above is just a small list to provide you with some insight on what can be achieved. It is so much more that you can do! The opportunities are ENDLESS!